Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Blog #17: Fishbowl

2 comments:

  1. Hi Alex! I really enjoyed your food memoir (I am also a coffee fanatic). I liked how you allowed your personality to not only shine through your words but also you video. (In particular, I'm talking about the very funny scene when you put your face next to the coffee maker.) You also did a good job in the fishbowl discussion. Your questions were all very thought provoking, and I especially liked your point that Janie never really "majorly screwed up", a characteristic that departs from the journeys of many other heroes. Overall, very nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, I really enjoyed the creativity of your food and memoir. I thought it was interesting that you chose something as common as coffee yet added your own flair to the presentation. Your poster was also very vivid and engaging in its unique format. As for the discussion, you asked very perceptive questions and offered strong responses to those of others. I particularly liked your question about the "Hero's Journey" and Janie's biggest downfall in "Their Eyes Were Watching God". I too thought that with Jody, Janie was the unhappiest and was therefore at the most unstable point in her life. Additionally, your allusions to The Great Gatsby were notable in that you looked beyond the surface of both novels and into the reliability of the narrator. Finally, I found intriguing your argument about Jody pressured to do well in society by the people of Eatonville since we, as readers, tend to focus most of the analysis on Janie and do not give Jody the benefit of doubt. This can connect back to your uncertainty about the narrator as Janie's perspective does not provide us with distinct views into the conditions of other characters. Overall, your presence was significant to the flow of the discussion and your memoir reflected the effort you put into the project.

    ReplyDelete